Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Akeelah and the bee.

    Last Thusday, me and my coursemates got a chance to watch an English movie titled  " Akeelah and the bee ". The movie was quite entertaining and interesting plus it was educational to me. This story is about Akeelah who is 11 years old girl who has a love for words. Spelling words was a way for her to connect to her father who was killed when she was six. Akeelah is a smart girl but the environment which she was brought up in has been hazardous to her. Responding to a threat by her school's principal, Akeelah participates in a spelling bee to avoid detention for her many absences. Much to her surprise and embarrassment, she wins. Her principal asks her to seek coaching from an English professor named Dr. Larabee for the more prestigious regional bee.
    This movie has touched me in several ways since i have taken this B.Ed TESL course. Now i have realized and become more aware of the roles of educators to educate and mould the students talents and behaviour. I also get to learn how to motivate and encourage students to the best and bring out their hidden talent. This movie has been useful to me because i get to learn how to approach students in a positive way. 
    When I relate this story to the teachers whom I knew in the past, I now realize how my teachers have dedicated their time in bringing the best out of all the students in school. I remember one of my English teachers who was very enthusiastic in teaching us was always encouraging us to take part in contest or competition organized by the school. Besides that, her creative approach in handling students with discipline problems was also good and all the students loved the way she taught us and bring the best out of each and everyone of us. Whenever she entered the classroom, immediately I start having an increased level of confidence in myself which i seldom get.
       After viewing the movie, there are some theoretical lesson that i have learnt. Firstly, i learn how to discipline a student if he or she tends to become rude or sarcastic towards the teacher. When Akeelah wanted to learn from Dr. Larabee, an English professor, she was being a bit ill - mannered, but then he approached her in a very polite  way, without anger and rage to discipline her. I hope I would be able to use this approach in future next time. Besides that, another lesson that I learnt is on how to motivate a student so that he or she doesnt experience low self esteem. In the movie, the professor asks Akeelah to read the quotation on the wall to give her the encouragement to do the best to achieve success. When the teacher is dedicated and gives support to his or her students, it makes a big difference in a students life. That is another lesson that I learnt after viewing this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment